Friday, April 16, 2010

Tortoises in Love? (The PG-13 Post)

Bonjour!

More signs of spring here.

The trees and plants are covered with flowers and smell so good. We've had some nice April showers the last couple of afternoons to clear the air of pollen (and pollution). And Hercules and Persephone continue to engage in behaviors that may lead to the laying of some (seriously fertilized) eggs.



This is what happens: Hercules chases Persephone around the yard, ramming into her shell pretty hard (it makes a knocking sound). It looks like this. (And yes, the photo is blurry because of the high speeds involved, not photographer error).




Then, Persephone (makes a mistake and) pauses a bit, and Hercules leaps into action, assuming this pose for several seconds.

Persephone then seems to flee the area -- and Hercules....






Later on, Persephone appears to be very, very hungry from all of the, uh, activity, and has more than once chased the cats away from their dishes of cat food.






This, however, is much more appropriate treat for Persephone.




Alas, no signs of eggs yet, although a website I found suggests it takes many years for tortoises to reach maturity, so all of this may be for naught. Bob thinks, though, that poor Hercules is making up for all those years (?) that he was alone in our yard.....

A bientot,

Kim

P.S.: Yes, for those of you wondering, I am making excellent use of my time off from work.

2 comments:

  1. OK--this post made me laugh so hard I had someone come into my office to ask me what I was reading. Holy COW! Awesome stuff. I'm glad the kids are having such valuable experiences.

    ReplyDelete