Saturday, October 16, 2010

Un Petit Cafe'


Bonjour,

Lest you begin to believe that I spend most of my time on this sabbatical shopping (in medinas, markets, or lovely, boutique-y stores), I wanted to assure you that I also spend a great deal of time hanging out in cafes, drinking lattes (or café crèmes, as they are called here).

In fact, one the best things about this sabbatical has been the opportunity to spend quality time with Anna and Tommy and indoctrinate them into the coffee culture.

For the entire year, Tommy and I have spent every Monday morning getting coffee (or, in Tommy’s case, usually the' a la menthe (mint tea) and pain au chocolate) at a café near the school. In the photo below, however, he was actually drinking an apple milkshake at our cafe.

And beginning this fall, Anna’s schedule now allows her to join me for coffee every Thursday morning (Anna’s school schedule is now much more like that of a "true" college student than a student in middle school -- called "the college" in the French system-- but more on that later).

Like mother, like daughter: Anna has discovered lattes while she finishes her homework.

Sometimes, I even find myself at the café with this interloper.

Many of the cafes in Morocco appear to be men-only (not officially, of course, but I have gotten a few annoyed looks at some). Throughout the city, the men seem to while away hours in cafes, drinking coffee and smoking, while the women scurry through the streets, managing work, household tasks and children. Many Moroccan women just don't seem to have much leisure time.

But, luckily for me, there are some cafes, like my favorite near the school, that are happy to welcome women who enjoy their lattes.

A bientot,

Kim

2 comments:

  1. I think it's time we took a stand on the male dominated cafe scene. I say we hit every cafe in Rabat and wear suits with briefcases and sip our lattes really slow while we get our shoes shined!

    ReplyDelete