Wednesday, February 17, 2010

School

Hi! it's Anna and I was figuring I should probably write about my life and Tommy's life seeing as you have been hearing a lot from my mom.

We have been at our school for seven weeks. Sometimes a week feels like an lifetime because we are SO bored, but other times it feels like only a couple of hours. And the teachers and students are doing their best to make it feel less like a lifetime and more like a couple of hours.

The French system is really very different from the average American one. Every morning we walk into class and wait for the teacher to tell us we can sit down. Throughout the day a majority of our time is spent copying things off the board. And in the French system EVERYTHING has to look perfect. We must write in perfect cursive that is approximately half a centimeter tall, and We use rulers for every little line we make. If you are writing on unlined paper, first you have to draw in lines with a pencil, then you have to write in a blue pen and then finally you have to erase the lines that you wrote earlier.

The school schedule is also very different. Instead of a really long summer break, we have four two-week-long breaks during the year, and summer does not start until July. Also, something that seems widely accepted here is the fact that on Wednesday we do not have school in the afternoon. It is very nice because it always seems like Wednesday is the hardest day.

Emotionally being away can be very hard. Sometimes I go to bed thinking I just want to go home because I miss my friends and I miss my old school and I miss English. But I really like Morocco and the more I get into this sabbatical the more I think I will be liking it.

I cannot add the photos right now because they are on the computer that my dad has in Belgium; but we will make sure to add extras next time.

I have got to go, but I will post again very soon.

4 comments:

  1. Great post Anna - school sounds very weird. But maybe your new skill of writing perfect cursive on soon to be rubbed out lines will come in handy some day!
    J'espere que tout va bien avec la famille pasnau-hult - et j'attend encore de nouvelles!
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the news, Anna. I'll be sure to show the post to Lucy. She misses you terribly, by the way. So do I. Without you and your brother here, there's nobody to laugh at my jokes. John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update, Anna! I'm jealous of the not-having-school-on-Wednesday-afternoon custom. That seems like something we should try out there, too.
    Tell Tommy that David's made his Republic Gun ship, too, and that he's hoping we can come visit you guys to have an epic Lego battle.
    How's the Kindle working out??
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... your school sounds sooo fun? :L :P
    NO SCHOOL WEDNESDAY AFTERNOONS?! What?! I want that hear in Englandd! :L
    When you say instead of the summer brake u get 4 individual brakes in the year, do u get other brakes too? Like for christmas and easter and stuff? O.o
    We get 6 weeks summer, 2 weeks christmas, 2 weeks easter, then a few random 1 week brakes, like for Halloween and also one that is always on my birthday :L
    We get quite a lot of brakes, including when our school boiler brakes down a lot so we can't go to school sometimes :L

    Jennnnn (:

    ReplyDelete